Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Teaching Our Children To Give Thanks

   Sometimes we refer to the prayer we say before a meal as "giving thanks."  This is a great time to teach our kids how to thank God for our food and other things, and we are following Christ example who himself gave thanks before breaking bread.  But I want to teach my children a lifestyle of giving thanks.  I want them to be thankful all throughout the day and notice all the "good and perfect gifts that come from above" (James 1:17).


   If you haven't read One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp, you really ought to take the time.  It has been a life-changing book for me.  I think that God brings certain books (and I often pray that He will) into my life at just the right time to teach me what He wants me to learn in a particular season or circumstance.  This book has made me a more all around joyful and grateful person in the midst of everyday craziness.  The Bible says, "In everything GIVE THANKS" (1 Thess. 5:18), and this book encouraged me to do so.  I want my children to realize all that we have to be grateful for and to live joy-filled lives.  Paul Washer is one of my favorite preachers to listen to and I heard him say recently that a study was done on families that seemed to produce happy and God-honoring children.  Apparently, the one thing all these families had in common was that their houses were filled with joy.  That's something to think about.  For me, this requires slowing down, forgetting my to-do list, and enjoying my family.  


   The Bible also says that "A joyful heart is good medicine" (Prov. 17:22).  The question is, Are we born happy or do we have to learn how to be happy?  Take a look at this short video on some research linking gratefulness with joy.


   I've definitely been challenged by the new perspective on life offered in One Thousand Gifts and recognizing the beauty in the mundane.  My plan is to have my children tell me three things every night that they are thankful for from that day.  What a great way to begin incorporating this mindset at a young age.
                     
                            What are you thankful for today?



No comments:

Post a Comment