Thursday, October 24, 2013
It's fall yall! And fall at the Gaines' house means soup on Saturdays. I've been making this cheeseburger soup for a couple of years since finding it on Pinterest and it is the perfect combination of meat and potato warm goodness. I have Taste of Home to thank for the recipe, which has been a good resource for my menus since I got married and started cooking 8 1/2 years ago. Hope you enjoy!
1 lb ground beef
3/4 cup chopped onions
3/4 cup shredded carrots
3/4 cup diced celery
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried parsley flakes
4 Tbsp butter, divided
3 cups chicken broth
4 cups diced peeled potatoes
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
8 oz Velveeta cheese, cubed
1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 cup sour cream
1. Brown beef on stovetop, drain and set aside.
2. Saute the onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley in 1 Tbsp butter until vegetables are tender. About 10 minutes.
3. Add the broth, potatoes, and beef and bring to a boil.
4. Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
5. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt remaining butter. Add flour, cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until bubbly.
6. Add to soup, bring to a boil.
7. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
8. Stir in cheese, milk, salt, and pepper. Cook and stir until cheese melts.
9. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.