Thursday, December 16, 2010

Time and Energy

"Think over the energy you're throwing into life now - trying to be the best you can be, trying to get ahead, to be a better family member, a better you.  Why work so hard?  Why ask so often for God's blessing on your life?
If it's to have a nicer, happier life that's not a bad goal.  Especially since that's what heaven will be - an easier, nicer existence.  If that were God's purpose for you right now, (God) would simply take you home to heaven, right?  But here-and-now, biblical discipleship is never described as "nice" or "easy."
Go ahead: Break out of the idea that to join God's family is to become part of a nice, privileged group.  It's more like being born into a family business - everybody is naturally expected to take part in the (parents') work."    -Jan Johnson (Growing Compassionate Kids, pg.6)

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Husband's Helper

"We were created to be our husband's helper, not our children's mother . . . Our husbands should always remain first in our hearts and in our care.  In fact, one of the most loving things we can do for our children is to prize our husbands.  It provides a wonderful security in their lives, and it presents a biblical model for them and their future marriages.  We want our daughters to prize their future husbands; and for our sons, we want them to find wives who will prize them."     -Carolyn Mahaney (Feminine Appeal, pg. 43)

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Choose Your Family

   "When you have to choose between others and your family - choose your family.  The institution of the family is no small thing and was wonderfully designed by God.  With a divinely ordered family, goes a divinely ordered church and society . . . Do not rob the lost world around you from seeing a Christian family the way that God designed it to be seen."  -Brandi Biesiadecki (When It's Time To Go)

Monday, November 29, 2010

Enjoy Your Husband

"A wife, if she is very generous, may allow that her husband lives up to perhaps 80% of her expectations.  There is always the other 20% that she would like to change, and she may chip away at it for the whole of their married life without reducing it by very much.  She may, on the other hand, simply decide to enjoy the 80%, and both of them will be happy." -Elisabeth Elliot (Love Has a Price Tag)

"A wife's quarreling is a continual dripping of rain."
                                      -Proverbs 19:13b
"It is better to live in a corner of the housetop, than in a house shared with a quarrelsome wife."
                                                                                     -Proverbs 21:9