Cheesecake is my favorite dessert! Over a decade ago, my MIL got this recipe from a coffee shop in Birmingham, AL and it is the best cheesecake ever! It takes a little while to make but is so worth the effort. If you can refrigerate it overnight, it tastes better the next day.
|wafer and butter crust|
|caramel and milk|
|cream cheese mixture|
1 3/4 cups vanilla wafers, crushed
1/3 cup butter, melted
11 oz. package caramel ready to melt balls (I just discovered these)
5 oz. can evaporated milk
2 1/2 cups brownies, crumbled (easiest to crumble when hot)
3 - 8 oz. packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup brown sugar
3 large eggs
8 oz. sour cream
2 tsp vanilla
whipped cream, caramel topping (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine wafers and butter. Firmly press on bottom AND SIDES of greased (with Crisco and flour) 9 inch springform pan. Bake for 5 min. Let cool on wire rack.
3. Combine caramels and evaporated milk in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring often, until caramel melts.
4. Pour caramel mixture over crust.
5. Sprinkle crumbled brownies over caramel. (The brownies need to be warm for best results)
6. Beat cream cheese at medium speed for 2 min. or until fluffy.
7. Gradually add brown sugar, mixing well.
8. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition just until blended.
9. Stir in sour cream and vanilla.
10. Pour batter over brownies.
11. Bake for 1 hour.
12. Remove from oven and let cool to room temp. on a wire rack.
13. Cover and chill at least 4 hours or overnight. Remove sides of pan. Garnish.