Pages

Friday, March 4, 2011

A Ball of Emotions

I wouldn't consider myself one of those "extra-sensitive" type of females, and those who know me best would probably agree.  But let's be honest; as women, we know we are emotional beings, a ball of emotions, if you will (and sometimes more than others).

In Rachel Jankovic's book, Loving The Little Years, she uses the analogy of horses in a chapter entitled, "Spirited Riders," to discuss dealing with our daughter's emotions.  She says, "the goal is not to cripple the horse, but equip the rider.  A well-controlled passionate personality is a powerful thing" (pg. 30).  As I raise my daughter, who is currently two and a half years old,  I have become more aware of a female's emotions from even the youngest of ages.  I often describe my daughter as "spirited."  Jankovic's analogy helped me see my responsibility as a mother of a "passionate personality."  God gave us emotions and they are a wonderful thing!  But the "rider" must be equipped with self-control.  After all, self-control is a fruit of the Spirit and the Bible has much to say about this godly trait.  One of the ways our daughters will learn how to control their emotions is by watching their mothers do the same.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are enjoying the book your grandmother gave you (I go to church with her.) I loved every single page of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Melisa! I met you at Alli's rehearsal dinner. My husband is the pianist at Bellevue. I found your blog through Grant's blog. When I this book pop up on the screen I just had to comment. This book challenged me in so many ways. I can't say enough good about it!

    ReplyDelete